Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Stayin' Alive

Just an update of what's been going on around here the last week and a half.
Last Monday morning, I woke up feeling kind of nauseated. After about 2 hours or so, I realized I'd caught the throw-up virus. I had to call Mike home from work to take care of Andrew and keep him away from me. Several times that day I told Mike I would be going to the hospital. I have had this before and I know how my body acts. Mike never having been through this with his wife before, seemed to not understand the seriousness of the situation, and empathetically offered me some Pepto Bismal. I became frustrated and told him to take Andrew to his parents and then me to the ER. Well, he got Andrew all packed up and delivered to his mom. By the time he returned, I wasn't able to stand without fainting. After lying on the bathroom floor for a while, I told him to call an ambulance. I can't tell you how both surreal and comforting it was to hear a siren off in the distance knowing they were coming for me. Thankfully they arrived within 3 minutes and started my IV. My blood pressure was very low and I was very dehydrated. They had to take me down the stairs in a "stair chair" which was embarrassing but necessary and they got me into the ambulance and into the ER in about 5 minutes. I had never ridden in an ambulance before. I remember looking out the back windows to see traffic pulling off to the shoulder. I felt both embarrassed and thankful at the same time. Two hours later, I felt like a new woman full of fluids, pain killer and anti-nausea. The paramedics couldn't have been nicer either!

Two days later, Mike woke up with the throw up virus. It was a fun week!!!

I have to thank my Mom and Sister in Law, Suzanne, for coming to take care of our baby while we recuperated and tried not to infect anyone else.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had to go thru that, Katie! It's good you listened to your body and knew to get help. Glad you're feeling better and hope your boys are too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey
    im so sorry you were so very very sick. im glad youre feeling better and hope yall are on the mend. andrew is so cute practicing the piano in your other post. i bet he will be up walking before you know it.

    ReplyDelete